Thursday, May 8, 2008

Osage Oranges in Victoria, Australia

At this time of year, autumn in the southern hemisphere, I love to walk around town. It's a small town, just outside the fringes of metropolitan Melbourne, and while much of the housing, especially the newer estates, crawl up the escarpments which ring a rich river valley, the heart of the town really is down near one of the two rivers. I say 'rivers' advisedly. 'Ponds' is more accurate in these days of drought.

My favourite walk takes in an old oast house which features on postcards. As does the famous and revered Avenue of Honour. From the freeway, this old entrance to the town is invitingly green, shady, and this month, adrift with leaves. The avenue has hundreds of approximately 80 year old elms, many of which are showing the stress of drought. Nevertheless, they look better than they feel. And the turning leaves flurry through the tunnel created by these gracious trees like confetti.

Back to my favourite walk: not through the Avenue of Honour, but round past the oast house and down by the five 'groves' or 'rows' of Osage Orange trees. At this time of year, they are also covered in yellowing leafage and the ground is littered around them with green balls variously called 'mock orange', 'hedge-apple', horse-apple, 'monkey brain', in the USA. Inedible, but currently being researched as mosquito-repellent oils. So I found out on my return from the invigorating walk, clutching four of the fallen fruit, inhaling their tangy orange fruit perfume. I looked up Wikipedia. Printed off the fascinating material there. Will put it in my Creative Memories Album for 2008, with the photos I took.

But here's a problem: under Distribution, in Wikipedia, there's no mention of occurrences outside the USA, except one sentence stating there are 4 or 5 trees in Croatia, planter unknown. I tried to create a username so I could add to the data, but obviously the millions before me have used all the common language, and I gave up in frustration. So I'm telling you now, if you're reading this, that there are numerous Osage Orange trees in my small town here in western Victoria, Australia, southern hemisphere, and they were planted in the 1860's by a Mr A.C. Simon, one of the earliest orchardists in our town, who brought the seeds from America. The timber is used locally for wood turning and the shavings are used for fabric dye.

We also have a stallholder in the Avenue of Honour whose barrows of pumpkins are a photographer's delight. If you'd like to know more, leave a comment.

7 comments:

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Greatly enjoyed this! Do you know, I have never been to your home town?

Could you include some photos here?

jaywig said...

I tried to upload photos but failed. I think I need to wait until our month's downloads allowance is renewed on 12 May. we're currently on the slow rate.

pottsie88 said...

Thanks for the info. We have just found a planting of these trees on private property near our home in Bendigo. Thought you may be interested to hear that they are here. We had no idea what they were until searching the net when we got home. Very interesting.

ginnyvls said...

There is a hedge of Osage Orange trees just near the Mitchell River in the town of Bairnsdale. On private property, but the fruit falls onto the road. Hope the trees are preserved. Great info on them.
Ginny

Unknown said...

Wish we had these trees in South Australia... Great wood for making bows (archery!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Would it be ok to get the name of the town, I occasional make a bow for target practise (actually I just really like the woodworking side of it. I don't practise much) and would love to try this wood

Unknown said...

The wood makes fantastic bows. Very good elastic and compressive strength. I have made a number of them from imported wood.